At North Suburban Eye Associates, PC, patients can speak to a doctor of ophthalmology about their vision and eye care needs. In addition, they can be educated on the various ways in which they can care for their eyes, especially if they are patients who have been diagnosed with diabetes.
How does diabetes affect eye health?
To maintain your vision and keep it sharp, it is important for diabetics to take good care of their condition to avoid issues with the eyes. Diabetics who have high blood sugar are at risk for damaging the tiny blood vessels in the eye, leading to diabetic retinopathy. It can also increase one’s risk for developing glaucoma and cataracts, which occur at an earlier age in diabetes than other health adults.
Tips for taking care of your eye health when diagnosed with diabetes
There are several recommendations our providers will make when patients have been diagnosed with diabetes. Below are a few tips and tricks to ensuring better health and vision while managing diabetes:
- Maintain routine appointments – visit your ophthalmologist at least once a year for an examination to spot any signs of problems early enough for effective treatment.
- Maintain your blood sugar levels – high levels of blood sugar can damage blood vessels in the eye, so it is best for patients to maintain their blood sugar levels at all times.
- Maintain proper blood pressure levels – high blood pressure is known for leading to eye disease, so patients with a combination of diabetes and high blood pressure need to be even more diligent about their overall health an wellness.
- Maintain cholesterol levels – there are two types of cholesterol that can impact your overall health, but the bad variety, known as LDL, can be linked to blood vessel damage when high.
- Maintain a healthy diet. Eating right is the best way to maintain your overall health and wellness, especially when it comes to sugar and diabetes. Work with your doctor or a nutritionist to monitor your intake and improve your positive eating habits.
Schedule your visit today!
If you are interested in working with a doctor of ophthalmology in the area of Wakefield, MA, we encourage you to book an appointment with our team at North Suburban Eye Associates, PC. We service patients in and around the communities of Waltham, Wakefield, and Winchester with four conveniently located practices. Our main line to request a visit can be reached at (781) 245-5200.