It only takes a second for your eyes to be injured in a way that can affect you for the rest of your life. Whether you work around dangerous materials for your job or your hobby, taking care of your eyes should always be a priority. Read on for some things you should know about preventing eye injuries!
The importance of eye protection
If there is even a chance that your current task might end up damaging your eyes, take a few moments to make sure they are protected. There may be more to protecting your eyes than just putting on a pair of goggles, though:
1. There are different kinds of eye protection, and you should find one appropriate to what you are doing. If you are welding, you should not only wear a helmet but also some safety glasses or goggles underneath. If you are working with chemicals, you should wear eye protection that wraps around your head to cover the sides of your eyes, or even a full face shield, for protection from any liquids splashing.
2. You might think that if you wear your regular glasses that those are all you need. However, regular glasses aren’t enough to protect your eyes – they are not the same as safety glasses, which have strong, durable lenses and frames.
3. If you work with hazardous chemicals, you shouldn’t wear your contact lenses. However, contact lenses can make things easier for you in other situations. Safety goggles can be difficult and uncomfortable to wear when you have to put them over your regular glasses, and you have a much wider field of vision with contacts than with glasses.
4. Eye protection should fit you properly, and you should always make sure it isn’t scratched or dirty.
5. If you have an eye injury, get medical help as soon as you can.
When it comes to protecting your eyes, don’t take any chances! Having sharp vision is another way to make sure you stay safe. If it is time for an eye exam, call North Suburban Eye Associates in Massachusetts. Call (781) 245-5200 for an appointment today!